Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Anarchy and Elvis


Dorothy Day reminds me everyday (well the poster on my wall quoting her does) that "Our problems stem from our acceptance of this filthy rotten system". Most days I have already been moved to anger and repulsion from reading the headlines. Just today I read the government didn't tell the truth about how many people died in detention centers, we've bought out insurance companies of which the CEO still receives salary of 7 million year and our proud and free citizens are toting semi-automatic assault rifles to town meetings. President Obama's mantra of ‘change you can believe in' has faded into tired war rhetoric; "this is not a war of choice, but a war of necessity" Obama proclaims, like all those who have lead us in war before. We are not experiencing the change we need. I was reminded this week that my anger and repulsion is not enough; I may have an opinion, but my life may still reflect the acceptance of "this dirty rotten system"

It was attending the Jesus Radicals; New Heaven, New Earth: Anarchism and Christianity Beyond Empire Conference at Caritas Village in Memphis, that refreshed my vision and awakened me to realities we often forget to maintain our own status quo. The conference was a gathering of committed anarchists who follow Jesus (many Catholic Workers), desiring to explore the ideas of anarchy, the gospel and our lives as Christians.

It is uncomfortable to have someone hold a mirror up for you, well maybe the difficult part is when you don't like what you see. Ewuare Osayande did this for all present and very bluntly called out the problem of racial privilege in this country and within the radical Christian community, in addition to the lack of conversation and action coming from those who proclaim a radical faith and follow a radical savior. I have had these moments in the past, when the reality of my own privilege hits me and I am floored and want to advocate for change, but I ease back into my life- often aware of racism, but not making the step to eradicate racial injustice. Ewuare challenged many of us, and his history of involvement in the black panthers challenged our own preconceived perception of a black man, who is passionately pleading with his Christian sisters and brothers for action and awareness.

Other notable speakers were John Zerzan (anarcho-primitivist), Emmanuel Charles McCarthy- (Byzantine Catholic Priest and co-founder of Pax Christi) and Ethan Hughes (founder of the Possibility Alliance a community open to everyone and founder of the superhero bikers who travel the country on bicycles helping people). It was a great weekend of connecting with like minds, challenging and educating each other and worshiping with the sounds an accordions and banjo.

Why was I in Memphis anyway? Well, talk about paradigm shifts; my family was in town to celebrate "Elvis Week", so I got fueled up during the days considering my lifestyle, position in the world and my vocation as a gospel anarchist, then I would attend "Images of the King" Elvis tribute artist competition. There is a gift in not becoming a rigid fundamentalist on any part of any spectrum. The gift is in being able to share in those things that others find joy in. I may know more words to Elvis songs than I would like, but the joy of visiting with my family and sharing in something they love is worth it and I will admit I did begin to get into the scene more than I expected!

No comments:

Post a Comment